Sunday, 6 November 2011

Reminisces of a childhood past...

Since as far back as I can remember, I've always harbored a deep, insatiable love for freedom...As a child, my version of it was to hurtle down sloping streets on a bicycle with my brother- hair flying, cotton dress flapping in the breeze.... We'd invented a dangerous but exciting technique, quite akin to the circus-stunt, tree-climbing games we played; we'd go 'double-riding' on the bike, with the person seated on the saddle seat using their hands to steer, while the one in the back, seated atop the uncomfortable carrier pedaled furiously, unaware of where we were headed!!
I am not one to live in the past and forgo my present but I realize, as do millions of adults- irrespective of their profession, social standing, family dynamics or culture- with a pang, that my childhood days were the best days of my life...
As a mother, I feel the joy and the wonder of watching my babies grow in front of my very eyes and marvel at the fleetingness of time, the realization that this moment with them will never return...so, whether we're reading, playing, walking to school or bathing, I try to live in THE MOMENT with them, and make sure they enjoy their precious days as children!
My first-born displays behaviour which, at times, is difficult to 'read' and has some co-ordination and behavioural difficulties. As a mother I can understand her well enough to know how to deal with her when she is unreasonable or stubborn, as against the times when she is genuinely unable to 'crack it'. So I've consciously adapted my life to suit hers- helping her enjoy and achieve, and I often indulge her 'competitive' streak vis-a-vis her little sister! I also try to find new games, tasks, places to visit etc to engage her and give her a enriching exposure to LIFE!! Often, she finds everything we do 'too much'' to take, so she both, loves me to bits and hates my guts, in turns... 
My husband, Raj, is much more placating and calm, often giving her his  undivided love and affection, letting her play with things as he watches her...I love this simplicity, this uncomplicated love- selfless and unconditional. She loves music and beads, cuddly toys and chocolates....she likes cuddles too, and will often greet her favourite people with a kiss on the cheek and a great big hug. Her smile is heartfelt and melts my insides, making me smile outwards and cry from happiness inside!
Our second child is growing up faster than her years, owing, perhaps, to her sister's perceived and actual difficulties. She is my little big girl, my friend, my angel...She seems to understand her sister better than most, and often acts like the big-sis herself. she draws beautifully vivid pictures, tries to write neatly, play responsibly, is often the ringleader in their games together and yet still sucks her thumb! She's got big, beautiful eyes and a terrific smile that's missing two front teeth!! She loves singing along, the great outdoors and bikes too!


My dream for them is to be free to choose the path their lives will take, letting them spend as much time as they need to making that decision. Its because we only live once, and this is the only shot they'll get... Besides, regret and hindsight have no place in life if we are be truly happy....and FREEDOM in essence, is the POWER TO CHOOSE...
Post a Comment